Lead is a kind of metal that can be found in some common items. If lead gets into the body, it can make people sick, especially young children whose bodies are growing. When lead gets into the body, it is called lead poisoning. Learning about lead can help your whole family stay healthy. Lead might not be something you can easily see, but everyone in your family can work together to keep the lead away. http://www.sesamestreet.org/parents/topicsandactivities/toolkits/leadaway
WFSU would like you know to know about a wonderful grant opportunity sponsored each year by the Community Classroom Consortium (CCC). The Teacher Grant program has been in existence since 2008. Teachers must submit an online application for the program by November 15th. Five $300 grants will be awarded. The application must be completed online and can be found at:
The applications are judged by a committee consisting of CCC general and board members on the following criteria:
- Number of students who will benefit;
- Creativity of project or innovative approach;
- Potential for sustainability and/or replication;
- Cost effectiveness and realistic budget;
- Engage a CCC member organization in the project;
- Potential to enhance instructional skills; and
- Description of measurable objectives.
The following are eligible to apply for the grants:
K-12 teachers from public schools or accredited private schools who
- teach during the traditional school day;
- are located within a 50 mile radius of the Tallahassee/Leon County area (area includes Monticello, Greenville, Madison, Perry, Carrabelle, Bristol, Blountstown, Chattahoochee, Gretna, Quincy, and Havana, Florida as well as Bainbridge, Pelham, Cairo, Thomasville and Quitman, Georgia);
- are directly involved with the project and agree to act as the responsible party and contact person; and
- comply with all applicable federal, state, and local laws and ordinances, including but not limited to those that bar discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disabilities.
The applications are due by November 15th and teachers will be notified by December 15th. The award must be spent within the 2012-2013 school year.
To read the full description of the grant please go to: http://www.communityclassroom.com/projects/grants/index.php